This pretty colored dish is my favorite meal. This is good for lunch and Dinner. And one of the classic Japanese Bento (Japanese lunch box). Soy sauce and ginger flavored mince, nicely sweet and soften eggs and fresh colored green.
The name of San-shoku-don. San means three, shoku means color and don/donburi means a big bowl of plain boiled rice with different topping. So, I can call the dish Three Color Rice Bowl.
The main fillings are Soboro (ground meat cooked with soy sauce and sugar ), Iri-tamago (Japanese scrambled egg) and green vegetables. I use peas but boiled spinach or green beans are also good.
When I was in Japan, I used beef mince often to make this recipe because mince looks darker when cooked. But you can use your favorite mince such as pork mince, chicken mince or turkey mince. I used pork mince today. After you have cooked the mince, you can keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days after it has cooled down to room temperature.
Sansyoku Don (Three Color Rice Bowl)
Serves: 2, Prep time: 5 mins, Cook time: 10 mins, Total: 15 mins
INGREDIENTS (for 2 servings)
For the Soboro (mince)
- 250 g minced meat (beef, pork, chicken or turkey）
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Japanese sake or white wine
- 1 tsp grated ginger with juice
For the Japanese scrambled egg
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp Japanese sake or white wine
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp boiled pea (fresh or flozen)
- 2 donburi bowl portion of cooked rice
- To cook the mince: Put the soy sauce, sake, sugar and grated ginger with juice into the pan. Add the mince and break up. (Do not turn on heat yet)
- Now, turn on medium heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the mince is cooked and then reduce the liquid a little bit caramelized.
- To cook the scrambled eggs: Put the eggs, sake ,sugar and a pinch of salt into a non-stick pan. Then turn on the heat and cook initially on a medium heat, stirring them. (If your pan is small, mix them in a bowl and then add to the non-stick pan)
- When the egg mixture at the rim of the pan starts to change color turn the heat down low, stirring quickly and continually like a make scrambled eggs.
- Served the rice into each bowl, then put the mince, the egg and the peas on top of the rice.